United Way of West Central Connecticut
Job Description: The United Way of West Central Connecticut is seeking a professional and energetic part-time Office Manager with a flexible schedule totaling 20 hours per week. The Office Manager is responsible for the overall workings of the United Way Office. The Office Manager is responsible for both management of the office and administrative work, including workflow oversight and the coordination and development of administrative processes. Will also provide general reception duties and be responsible for several projects throughout the year.
Candidate must be organized, resourceful, reliable, dedicated and flexible. Candidate should also have the ability to multi-task, adjust to changes, and implement improvements. Must be able to demonstrate sound judgment and independent decision-making skills; must be attentive to detail, accurate, thorough and persistent in following through with all activities. The Office Manager is required to consistently project a professional demeanor and appearance and interact in a friendly, patient, and cooperative manner with donors, clients and other non-profit organizations.
Responsibilities/Examples of Duties:
- Answer telephones and handle/route calls
- Greet visitors
- Order supplies
- Manage volunteers
- Keep office equipment up-to-date and working
- In charge of all mailings (must be able to do mail merges)
- Process bulk mail through post office
- Order food and reserve space for meetings
- Prepare for and take minutes at meetings
- Maintain office calendar
- Help Donor Services Associate with “thank you” letters
- Send reminders to clients of tax site
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Particularly Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Able to understand and troubleshoot various office machines (e.g. postage, fax, projectors, etc.)
- Requires some travel within five miles of office – will be reimbursed for mileage
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management and organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Professional demeanor and phone presence
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs. and be on your feet for long stretches of time
Please send resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 13th.
Child Care Referral Specialist
United Way of Connecticut
HOURS AVAILABLE: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Full-Time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Child Care Referral Specialist is responsible for handling cases relating to child care. The specialist assesses clients’ needs and acts as a support system to parents and providers offering consumer education and counseling as needed on various child care issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood development, education, counseling or other related field plus one year experience in child care, OR
- Associate’s Degree in early childhood development, education, counseling or other related field plus three years’ experience in child care;
- One year previous experience in a formal child care setting required;
- Previous office experience required;
- Computer skills required;
- Ability to relate and to communicate effectively with people from all economic, racial, age, ethnic and social groups;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Strong oral and written communication and phone skills;
- Ability to work independently and effectively multi-task;
- Willingness to adapt to a changing caseload while maintaining constant standards of high quality;
- Bilingual Spanish/English desirable.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter explaining how you qualify
via email to email@example.com or Fax to (860) 571-7505.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF RESUME AND COVER LETTER: May 15, 2013
United Way of Connecticut, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Marketing, Communications and Social Media Intern
Middlesex United Way
Effective Dates: Summer 2013
Time Commitment: Hours are negotiable, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. 15-20 hours a week preferred.
Description of Position: Middlesex United Way is seeking an intern for Marketing, Communications and Social Media. The intern will execute activities as outlined in the annual Marketing and Communications plan under the supervision of the Communications Director.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A basic understanding/familiarity with current social media platforms
- An understanding of MS Office particularly Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Graphics program knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Read, understand, and learn United Way brand and messaging
- Communications tasks such as proof reading, editing, writing, website updates
- Create flyers, invitations and other graphic design and desktop publishing tasks in compliance with brand identity guidelines
- Assist with event production
- Support the planning Day of Caring, a large scale volunteer event
- Support the development of annual campaign print materials and video
- Assist with video shoot planning and logistics
- Create and implement strategies for social media promotion and research new social media ideas and best practices
- Social media content planning (editorial calendar by week)
- Develop blog articles and social media content
- Other duties as assigned
Salary Range: **For credit, non-paid experience.**
For consideration, please submit resume and 2-3 writing samples to Jennifer Sprague, Communications Director, at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middlesex United Way is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Boost! Service Corps Member
United Way of Greater New Haven
United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) is in partnership with the City of New Haven and the New Haven Public Schools to coordinate wraparound services to support young people’s overall development and enhance their ability to learn in the classroom. The initiative, called Boost!, is a component of New Haven’s School Change Initiative (to learn more, visit www.NewHavenSchoolChange.org). Boost! addresses wraparound services that fall into four broad domains which have been demonstrated to contribute to young people’s ability to succeed in school and in life: physical health, social and behavioral health, family support and engagement, and extended learning opportunities.
Boost! is designed to improve coordination and facilitate access to critical support services for youth and families, improve the quality of services, promote best practices, make most efficient use of existing and new resources in schools and in the community, and use data to leverage citywide policy and systems change -- all aimed at giving New Haven’s youth the educational foundation they need to escape the cycle of poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members assigned to UWGNH will join the Boost! Service Corps Team, working to complement ongoing activities of Boost! by helping to coordinate services at the school level, conducting research, resource development, communications and training.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Authorized in 1964 and founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 45 years.
Each VISTA member will engage in strategic planning at a Boost! school, assisting the Boost! Coordinator in developing the school’s capacity to provide comprehensive wraparound services. Also, they will participate in developing the overall systemic capacity for wraparound services citywide. Specific duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Conduct needs assessments to determine needed supports and services at both the city and school levels
- Research best practices and share learning with schools through trainings
- Engage families and community members in supporting student success and developing school capacity to create a welcoming school environment
- Develop and coordinate expanded wraparound program/services between community-based organizations and schools
- Collect and analyze data to report on Boost! programs and monitor program quality
- Provide assistance with resource development/fundraising and communications activities
- Assist in development of Boost! volunteer opportunities
- Assist school-appointed Boost! Coordinator in the management of programs
- Participate in United Way projects and activities that support Boost’s mission and goals
- Education/Youth Development
- Interpersonal and Communications Skills
- Research, writing and editing
- Community Organizing/Motivation
- Conflict Resolution
- Public Speaking
- Data Collection/Analysis
You must apply for this position through AmeriCorps VISTA (click here).